This mole and vole control method is one of the best ways to get rid of the rodents. It is very effective immediately … but also lasts for year. Unlike most other approaches, it’s almost for free, does no harm to animals and the environment and is totally safe for pets and children. A few hours of effort need to be put in once … but thereafter no further work will need to be done at all.
Mole & vole control with Garlic – how does this work?
As we humans know too well, garlic has a very strong smell and taste. Moles and voles have extremely sensitive noses … after all that’s how they find their food digging through thick soil. So if garlic smells already so strong to humans … we can only imagine how much stronger and off-putting it must be to those sensitive rodent noses. And this is exactly the basis for this mole and vole control method: The rodents won’t even go near a plant of garlic.
The good news is that garlic is really easy to plant and grow: You simply put an ordinary clove of garlic in the ground and it will grow all by itself (returning every year).
In most cases, simply placing one clove near the plant to be protected is already sufficient. To have maximum mole and vole control we recommend to place 3-4 cloves around the plant you want to protect. For vegetable beds we suggest to place the garlic in rows along the beds. (Distance between two garlic plants should be approx 2 feet/60 cm, and about 3 feet/1 meter between rows). For larger areas like lawns we recommend to place the garlic around the edges or trees, so that it doesn’t affect your ability to mow the lawn.
How well does this method work?
This method of mole and vole control works astonishingly well: Protection is immediate when you place the gloves in the ground.
As the garlic grows back every year you also have an excellent long-term solution. You can even cut the garlic (e.g. with a lawn mower) and it will still grow back.
Is this method expensive?
No. The only cost for this mole and vole control method is the purchase of the garlic. Even if you have to buy a lot of garlic, it is quite cheap. And you only have to do it once as it grows back by itself every year!
How much effort does this method involve?
There are three steps to this mole and vole control method:
- Decide where you will place the garlic and estimate how much you need to buy. (Depending on what you are trying to protect, this can take from a few minutes to an hour for bigger and more complex areas.)
- Buy the garlic.
- Place the garlic cloves in the soil. (This goes very fast once you’ve done a few … for example you can protect 50 single trees/bushes or a medium size lawn in 2 hours)
The best about this mole and vole control method is that once you have done above 3 steps, you do not need to do anything any more for years to come.
Environmental, animal and safety matters
Unlike many other mole and vole control methods, no actual harm is done to the rodents or any other animals or plants.
This approach is also perfectly safe with pets and children.
Summary of pro’s and con’s
- Very effective short and long-term projection against moles and voles
- Very environmentally friendly: no harm to animals and the environment
- Cheap and easy to implement
- Safe to pets and children
- Needs to be done only once and will protect for years to come with zero effort
- One-time effort to plant can take several hours depending on size
For a complete overview over all 18 vole and mole control methods … see our page: “18 methods for getting rid of voles and moles”