Mole and vole poison is usually an effective way to get rid of the rodents in a short period. Cost and effort are relatively low compared to other methods. Long-term protection usually requires repeated application of the poison. Using mole and vole poison is controversial from an environmental and animal friendliness point of view and special attention needs to be given to the safety of kids and pets.
How does the mole and vole poison method work?
Mole and vole poison usually comes in the form of granules or pellets that are spread across the area(s) where the rodents are present.
The animals then die a few hours after ingesting the mole and vole poison.
How well does this method work?
Short-term: Mole and vole poison is usually very effective and can resolve your rodent problem in a week or two. However, for this method to work, you will need to follow carefully the guidelines outlined on this webpage and strictly adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Long-term: This is difficult to predict:
- In some situations, you could be rodent-free for several years.
- In others, the animals may come back from surrounding areas within a few weeks.
If your current vole problem is relatively new and you didn’t have many issues in the years before, chances are high that you will have some peace for a while after applying the mole and vole poison.
On the other hand, if you’ve had constant problems with the little animals for years you will likely have to reapply mole and vole poison on an ongoing basis. (In this case, we suggest you first look at our page that reviews methods with good long-term effectiveness: “Getting rid of moles and voles for good: 6 long-term methods“.)
Is this method expensive?
This depends of course on the size of the infested area. Whilst mole and vole poison isn’t cheap … in most cases you should be able to get rid of the rodents for less than $50 (€40, £30).
If the animals return and you need to apply the mole and vole poison on an ongoing basis … then costs can quickly increase.
How much effort does this method involve?
Although the required effort is not huge compared to some other mole and vole control methods, you will need to find the right spots to place the mole and vole poison and refresh it regularly for a few weeks.
If you have kids or pets, safety considerations to prevent them to get access to the poison can be an additional inconvenience.
As for the costs … if you need to use the poison on an ongoing basis … the amount of effort will add up over time.
Environmental, animal and safety matters
Using mole and vole poison is one of the most controversial methods to control their populations. Not only does it get rid of the rodents by killing them … but also is there a risk for other mammals to die from eating the bait. This risk is extended to pets and even humans, especially children. Therefore, safety should be a major concern when using this method.
Summary of pro’s and con’s
- Fast short term elimination of moles, voles and pocket gophers
- Low-to-medium effort and cost
- Often needs ongoing reapplication of mole and vole poison for long-term protection
- Kills the rodents and possibly other (non-target) animals
- Potential Risk to kids and pets
For a complete overview over all 18 vole and mole control methods … see our page: “18 methods for getting rid of voles and moles”